- NASA has modified the contractt with ATK Thiokol for the Ares I first stage. The extension goes through Dec 31, 2006 and adds $35 million making the total value of the contract $63 million.
- Even the Washington Post thinks the ULA is a bad idea. The FTC is now intervening the formation of the ULA. They are requiring ULA to do the following:
(1) ULA must cooperate on equivalent terms with all providers of government space vehicles;
(2) Boeing and Lockheed's space vehicle businesses must provide equal consideration and support to all launch services providers when seeking any U.S. government delivery in orbit contract; and
(3) Boeing, Lockheed, and ULA must safeguard competitively sensitive information obtained from other space vehicle and launch services providers.
- Michael Belfiore has the cover of his book on private space business leaders out.
- A new class of planets orbit their sun in hours rather than years.
- The shuttle has a ding. Better not tell Dad ;)
- Scientists are looking for other habitable universes (subscription)
- Burt Rutan is one of Popular Mechanic's breakthrough leaders.
- The Register thinks space tourism will help NASA with the public.
1. space beyond the atmosphere of the earth.
prag·ma·tism (prgm-tzm) n. A way of approaching situations or solving problems that emphasizes practical applications and consequences.
Thursday, October 05, 2006
Posted by Dan Schrimpsher at 8:57 AM