Front Page


Staff

Editor: Veronica Pierce
OpEd: Dan Schrimpsher
Reporter: Dan Schrimpsher
Finance: Veronica Pierce
Contact Us Alternative Contact
space (spās) n. 1. space beyond the atmosphere of the earth.

prag·ma·tism (prgm-tzm) n. A way of approaching situations or solving problems that emphasizes practical applications and consequences.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

SS2 Flight Rate

Rand Simberg has issues with my comment on SS2 flight rate recently.


I see no reason that they shouldn't have a much higher flight rate than that. I'd think that they could probably fly every day, as long as they make the hybrid motor easy to refuel.

He is correct, of course. However, I assume that in the beginning the flights will be less often as problems will show themselves up front. I see more of an exponential cure of flights starting with one every few weeks to get the kinks out. And closer to once per day when they are close to starting service.

Also, based on history, SS1 was flown months apart except for the X-Prize run, so I am trying to be conservative.

No comments: