Front Page


Staff

Editor: Veronica Pierce
OpEd: Dan Schrimpsher
Reporter: Dan Schrimpsher
Finance: Veronica Pierce
Contact Us Alternative Contact
space (spās) n. 1. space beyond the atmosphere of the earth.

prag·ma·tism (prgm-tzm) n. A way of approaching situations or solving problems that emphasizes practical applications and consequences.

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Will Make Oxygen from Regolith for Food

NASA released it's next centennial challenge today. $250,000 to the group/company/guy in his garage who can "pull at least 11 pounds (5 kilograms) of breathable oxygen from a volcanic ash-derived lunar soil substitute called JSC-1 ... in 8 hours" -- -Tariq Malik Space.com

Now this is more interesting to me than the last two (for demonstrating power beaming and the strongest tether). This is directly applicable to living on the moon. If we are staying on the moon, we are going to have to get Oxygen locally.

Not to upset the Space Elevator people. Frankly, I hope that in a few years there will be many ways to get out of LEO. Tethers? Great. Rockets? Great. Whatever works and is affordable. But my goal is not to get out of LEO, but to get to a moon colony. However we get there, this prize helps us stay there.

Good going NASA. This was a good idea.

2 comments:

Brian Dunbar said...

Not to upset the Space Elevator people. Frankly, I hope that in a few years there will be many ways to get out of LEO. Tethers? Great. Rockets? Great. Whatever works and is affordable. But my goal is not to get out of LEO, but to get to a moon colony. However we get there, this prize helps us stay there.

I am, I think, one of those space elevator people. Or at least Liftport thinks I am.

The thought of competition does not bother me. I like having a diverse infrastructure; whatever makes sense for the market and cargo.

~brian

Dan Schrimpsher said...

Oh yeah I agree. I only meant that I think this prize is more important in the long run for human expansion into space than the first two, which were both slanted towards a space elevator concept.